The Middle Years Programme is a coherent and comprehensive curriculum framework that provides academic challenge and develops the life skills of students in Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9 at Mascalls Academy. It encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world, preparing them for success in further study and in life.
What does the MYP offer our students?
The MYP aims to develop active learners and internationally minded young people who can empathise with others and pursue lives of purpose and meaning. The programme empowers students to inquire into a wide range of issues and ideas of significance locally, nationally and globally. The result is young people who are creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
Why do we follow the MYP at Mascalls Academy?
Research shows that students participating in the MYP:
- build confidence in managing their own learning
- learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills – click here to view the supporting research findings
- consistently have greater success in IB Diploma Programme examinations
- thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel – click here to view the supporting report
- develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens.
What are the contextual and conceptual ideas of the MYP?
The MYP values education that helps develop meaning in learning for the students. All Mascalls Academy students will be introduced to the following global contexts to anchor their learning across all subjects:
- Identities and relationships
- Orientation in space and time
- Personal and cultural expression
- Scientific and technical innovation
- Globalisation and sustainability
- Fairness and development
As well as this, all Mascalls Academy MYP students will be introduced to the 16 key concepts that the MYP identifies, throughout their time in Year 7, 8 and 9. This will be done through anchoring in subject disciplines.
- Global interactions
- Time, place and space
Citation: International Baccalaureate®, IB Organization. “What is the MYP?” Published by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) – linked here.