- Thursday 14th October 2021, 5pm to 7pm – Sixth Form Open Evening. Opportunity to view the school and talk to our specialist subject teachers about the A level and vocational courses on offer for 2022.
- Week beginning 1st November 2021 – Kent County Council sends letters to students’ home addresses, explaining the new KentChoices application system, and how to use it.
- Week beginning 1st November 2021 – Students receive their login details for the KentChoices system at school – delivered by courier from Kent County Council for distribution by the school. Login details are not being sent to students’ home addresses this year.
- Monday 1st November 2021 – Mascalls Academy starts accepting Sixth Form applications via the KentChoices website from students living within the County of Kent. Applicants who live outside of Kent should apply by contacting the school reception for an Out of County Application Form – email@example.com
- Two weeks (2 weeks in December 2021) – Year 11 GCSE mock exams (which will provide data on Sixth Form subject suitability)
- Friday 11th February 2022 – Deadline for submission of Sixth Form applications to Mascalls Academy for entry in September 2021
- During February 2022 – Individual meetings take place with current Mascalls students during this month (where required) to confirm subject choices and assess students’ suitability for their chosen subjects. Please note that not all internal applicants will need to attend a meeting; those that do will be notified individually.
- During March 2022 – Offers of Sixth Form places are made via the KentChoices system during this . Offers will either be conditional or unconditional, and will have a response deadline by which you must either accept or reject the offer, also via the KentChoices system. Failure to respond to your offer by the stated deadline may result in it being cancelled.
- Monday May/June 2022– GCSE final exams take place
- June 2022 – induction programme for Mascalls Academy Sixth Form. Students intending to join the Sixth Form in September 2021 are required to attend all three days. This includes all internal and external students who have accepted an offer of a place via the KentChoices system.
- August 2022 – GCSE Results Day date TBC – All Year 11 Mascalls students need to be available to receive their GCSE results in person at the school, and to review their Sixth Form subject choices with the Sixth Form team.
External students need to make contact with us as soon as possible after receiving their results to confirm that they will be taking up their Sixth Form place. A copy of the GCSE results sheet will need to be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as part of this confirmation process.
Post-16 English & Maths Provision
- The Mascalls Academy 6th Form entry stipulates that successful candidates are required to achieve at least a pass (Grade 4) in both Maths and English GCSE alongside or as part of the 5 GCSEs at Level 5 requirement.
- For English, this can be either Literature or Language
- As stated on our Subject Entry Sheets, many of our A-Level/BTEC subjects require at least a Grade 5 or better in these subjects so this should be carefully considered when selecting onward study options
Below are a series of FAQs and answers that will hopefully help you in your application process.
For Maths – the papers are the same as the GCSE students will sit; students enrolling at Post 16 will sit the Foundation Paper.
For English, Edxecel (Exam Board) has devised a new Post 16 programme of study which offers a revised exam model that is more suited to the older students. It would only be English Language that is a required re-sit and there is no coursework element. Students may still be required to complete a Spoken Endorsement element.
Candidates enrolled for Post 16 GCSE study will be further assessed by subject teachers after enrollment and considered for early entry (November Series) or end of year entry (June Series). Decisions on entry will be made by the heads of the respective departments.
If a candidate is enrolled in the November series, results are shared with students in the following January. All papers are externally marked by the exam board and not by staff in school.
If a candidate is enrolled in the June series, results will be published in the August results with the GCSE students.
Should a student achieve a pass or Level 4, they will have concluded the course and are no longer required to attend scheduled lessons. If a student is in the November series, they are required to attend lessons until the results are shared in the following January.
The government stipulates that a student who has achieved a Level 3 or below should be working towards achieving the Level 4 until they pass or until they conclude their 6th Form studies, whichever is sooner. Therefore, should a student not achieve a Level 4 in the re-sit they will continue with their GCSE studies until the end of Year 13.
Entry to the Mascalls Academy 6th Form requires either a pass or actively working towards achieving a pass. If a student does not wish to participate in the resit programme, they will not be enrolled in the 6th Form and must choose an alternative provider.
For more information or to ask any question not answered above, please contact the 6th Form Support Assistant, email@example.com